Day 01: Arrive in Gangotri
The only way to reach Gangotri is by road. One can start the road journey either from Dehradun or Rishikesh but with a new route open now, reaching Gangotri via Dehradun is the faster option (around 242 Kms). You will receive the detail of accommodation in Gangotri through an email from us. After reaching here, check into the Guest House/Hotel. Have some rest. Evening can be utilized to explore the local market, temples, etc.
Day 02: Gangotri to Bhojwass (3792 Mts) via (3600 Mts). 14 kms trek.
We start in the morning, after breakfast to trek towards Chirbasa (3600mt). From Gangotri you may move along the beaten track towards Chirbasa, which is on tree line. The entire trek till Chirbasa is along the roaring Bhagirathi River. We can have our pack lunch in Chirbasa. From Chirbasa, we trek further to Bhojwassa today. The trek is going to be moderate for the day. The terrain, after Chirbasa, becomes really desolate and barren. In fact, it has been referred to as Arctic Tundra by many trekkers. Entire trail passes through dense forest till Bhojwassa. There is a small temple and a potential campsite near the river. Good place to camp for the day. Excellent sunset on Bhagirathi group of peaks to delight you in the evening.
Day 3: Bhojwassa - Gomukh (3890 mts) - Tapovan (4463 mts). 13 Kms Trek
Early in the Morning enjoy the panoramic view of Bhagirathi group of peaks. After breakfast trek to Gomukh (3890mt), the source of the Ganges. Gomukh is where the water of Ganga trickles down from the glaciers. The sages called it 'Gomukh', because in the distant past, it probably appeared like a cow's mouth. Explore the area and trek to Tapovan, one of the finest high altitude alpine meadows in the area. The trek from Gomukh to Tapovan is ascent steep, and as we climb, the view of the surrounding peaks becomes clearer. Tapovan known for its beautiful meadows that encircle the base camp of the Shivling peak, Tapovan is a very pleasant surprised spot with a large meadow complete with bubbling streams, wildflowers and campsites. Herds of Bharal (blue mountain goats) are a common sight from here on mountain ridges. On the far side of the glacier the Bhagirathi I, II, III (6454mt), provide an equally impressive backdrop. It is also the little wonder where Sadhus and saints choose this spot for extended meditation during the long summer month. Arrive Tapovan and camp. Dinner and overnight stay in camp.
Day 04: Tapovan – Meru Glacier - Nandanvan (4340 mts). Trek 4-5 hrs.
On this day we start early & head to the great Meru Glacier. After a brief halt to explore Meru Glacier, we trace back to Nandanvan via Gomukh glacier. The route from Tapovan leads from the upper section of the meadow till down and onto the glacier. From Gomukh turn towards Nandanvan (4340m) and steering on right one will be on top of the Gangotri glacier. The glacier runs between two ranges and the landslides make a layer of rocky moraine on the ice which makes the walking easier. The glacier walk is very slippery and a slight lack of concentration would be dangerous. Huge crevasses gaped here and there. After a walking for about a kilometer there is a vertical ascent. Big rocks enroute offer grips and foot - holds but many of them are deceptive too. Dinner and overnight stay in tents.
Day 05 : Nandanvan - Vasuki Tal (4880 mts) - Nandanvan. 12 kms Trek.
Morning trek along with Chaturangi Glacier to reach Vasuki Tal, a beautiful base for Mt Satopanth and Mt Vasuki Parbat with a small lake. The trek is steady upward. After Exploring the area, trek back to Nandanvan. Arrive in 5-6 hours and overnight stay in tents.
Day 06 : Nandanvan - Cheerwasa (Trek 6-7 hrs).
Early morning enjoy the sunrise on high peaks. After breakfast trek down to Cheerwasa. Arrive Cheerwasa and camp. Dinner and overnight stay at the camp.
Day 07 : Cheerwasa to Gangotri. Trek 3-4 hrs.
After breakfast get ready for trek down to Gangotri. The descent is easy and one can reach Gangotri well before afternoon. We can use this day to visit the holy town of Gangotri which is one of the most famous and sacred destinations for Hindus, all over the world.
Day 08: Leave from Gangotri to Dehradun.
Leave from Gangotri in the morning and reach Dehradun till evening.
All you need to know about Vasuki Taal Meru Glacier trek
- Learning Experience: We do not just focus on completing the trek but also help you develop basic trekking skills like:
- Packing a rucksack
- How to pitch and dismantle a camping tent and properly use a sleeping bag
- Ascend and Descend on a snow
- How to ensure camp safety and hygiene
- How to climb with a Fix Rope or (use of harness & ropes)
- A unique find of Bikat Adventures, Vasuki Tal is a hidden gem. We offer a unique itinerary that lets you explore Gangotri (Gomukh) Glacier, Nandanvan, and Vasuki Tal in 7 days of trekking in the protected forest region of Gangotri.
- Loyalty Programs: Join Bikat community and enjoy benefits of our vouchers and referral programs.
- Personalized attention: We have small batch size (max. 15) and we maintain a healthy ratio of 8:1 (Participants: Leader) on all our batches to enable individual focus and monitoring.
- Best Expedition Leaders: Our leaders are advanced mountaineering course qualified, specially trained in rescue procedures from NIM and certified first-aid responders. Even our local guides are certified first-aid responders.
- Safety norms: We have mapped every region with an emergency evacuation plan and safety protocols maintaining a zero accident record so far. We carry an extensive first-aid kit including oxygen cylinders and high altitude medicines.
- Safety equipment: Our trek leaders carry UIAA certified rescue equipment like static rope, ice ax, harness, carabiners, jumar, pulley, short and long slings.
Is this trek good for me?
Vasuki Taal Trek is a difficult glacier trek with the highest altitude of 4880 meters. The difficult terrains and steep ascent make it a challenging expedition. This trek is appropriate for the seasoned trekkers and for those who have done moderate level treks before. For details on trek difficulty level, please read on Bikat Rating Scale
- Should have at least 7-10 trek days in the Himalayas in their kitty.
- One should have done at least one moderate plus level trek before.
- How to use basic mountaineering equipment like gaiters & micro spikes
- Ascending & Descending on snow
- Basics of Mountain Sickness
- Basics of Mountain Hazards
- How to cross small water streams
- How to cross large water streams
- Basic principles of acclimatization
What to Pack
Here is your checklist for this trek. Make sure you pack all these items for a comfortable trekking experience.
- Trekking Gear
- A rucksack with rain cover
- A water bottle or a hydration pack
- A Hand/Head Torch with spare batteries
- UV protection Sunglasses
- A trekking pole
- Clothing: Vasuki Taal is a glacier trek with extreme cold and snowfall. Hence, the temperature is bound to fall below 0-degree celsius. Therefore, at least 5 layers of clothing are absolutely necessary.
- Quick Dry Warm lower or Track Pants - 2
- Full sleeves T-shirts - 4
- Thermal Bodywarmer Upper & Lower - 2
- Fleece Jacket - 1
- Padded Jacket-1 (Goose down or feather is preferable)
- Full sleeves sweater- 1
- Rainwear (Jacket & Pants) - 1
- Thick woolen socks - 1 or 2 pairs
- Cotton socks - at least 3-4 pairs
- Undergarments - 1 for every day of trekking
- Pair of Warm Gloves - 1
- Woolen cap - 1
- A sun cap or biker scarf to protect from sun -1
- Non-skid deep trod hiking shoes (Preferably ankle high) -1
- Pair of lightweight Slipper/Sandals - 1
- Sunscreen lotion, lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, toilet roll, cold cream, small towel.
- Anti- fungal cream: Carry an antifungal cream if you are sensitive to sweating and prone to skin irritations around genitals or groin area due to lack of bathing.
- For women:
- Tampons or sanitary napkins,
- 2-3 zip pouches to dispose of non-biodegradable waste
- Vaginal wash to avoid any irritation due to lack of bathing.
- A small size, lightweight, leak-proof lunchbox - preferably aluminum
- A plate and a spoon
- A mug - preferably aluminum
- Camera (optional)
- Personal medicine kit. Though our trek leaders carry a fully equipped first-aid kit, make sure you consult your doctor before the trek in case you have any special ailment.
- Epi-Pen - If you are allergic to a common ingredient and have a history of reaction, then please inform us. Carrying an EpiPen helps in case of any accidental intakes.
- Dry fruits, energy bars
How to reach
The start and end point of Vasuki Taal is Gangotri. Dehradun is the best point to reach Gangotri. Though there are no buses from Dehradun to Gangotri, one can hire a shared taxi from Dehradun which takes about 8 hours to reach (242 km).
Dehradun is easily accessible through road, rail, and air transport.
You can take overnight UKRTC buses and Volvos available between Delhi ISBT and Dehradun. You can book your bus tickets online through https://utconline.uk.gov.in/ or any other bus services available. The distance from Delhi to Dehradun is about 247 km. You can also hire a taxi or outstation cab from Delhi to Dehradun.
The nearest railway station to is 245 km away in Dehradun. There are a number of trains running between Delhi and Dehradun like Dehradun Express, Mussoorie Express, Nanda Devi Express. It is advisable to make your train bookings a month in advance.
The nearest airport from Gangotri is Jolly Grant airport in Dehradun which is 272 km away from Uttarkashi. There are frequent flights between New Delhi and Dehradun. Make sure you have your flights booked well in advance.
Uttarkashi, near Gangotri, is a beautiful tourist point with so many places to see. Visit Vishwanath Temple, the oldest and most sacred temple located on the banks of Bhagirathi River. Kuteti Devi Temple is another highly regarded religious place in town. Manekari Dam is a concrete marvel of Uttarkashi. Experience the village life in Sangem Chhati, a half an hour drive from Uttarkashi district. National Mountaineering institute is also located in Uttarkashi.
BSNL and Airtel sims have a good connectivity in this region. One can expect a network on these sims only till Gangotri or Gomukh on this trek.