Sankri is a versatile village located in the Garwhal region of Uttarakhand. Every year hundreds of trekkers come to Sankri to explore the Himalayan mountains and wildlife. It serves as a base camp for several treks like Har Ki dun, Baraadsar Lake, Bali pass, Kedarkantha, Dev kyara, Phulara ridge etc.
In this article, we discuss the different ways and costs involved in reaching the base camp of Sankri. The nearest city to Sankri is Dehradun. Sankri is around 200 km from here. The key stops in between are Mussoorie, Purola, Mori, and Netwar.
1.Direct flight to the Jolly Grant Airport
Take a direct flight to Jolly Grant Airport near Dehradun. Fromt the Airport, There are no means of transportation that go till Sankri. The best option is to head to the railway station from where shared cabs and buses to Sankri are available.
From the airport, the railway station is 28 km away and can be reached by a shared cab or private taxi. The private taxis are available inside the airport premises while the shared cabs can be found on the highway running close to the airport.
2. Take a flight to Delhi and reach Dehradun by bus or train
- Plenty of Volvo and normal buses to Dehradun are available from Kashmere Gate, ISBT Bus Terminus in Delhi. The price ranges from Rs 500 to Rs 750. It takes a total of 6-7 hours to reach Dehradun. Please note that there are no means of transportation that goes till Sankri from the Bus Stand of Dehradun. You will have to take a cab or a local bus to the Dehradun railway station which is 6 km away.
- If you prefer traveling by train, there is one train that leaves for Dehradun in the daytime from the New Delhi railway station. It is the JAN SHATABDI Express. It starts at 3:20 PM and takes 7 hours to reach the Dehradun railway station. The ticket price for this train is around 500 rupees.
- In the evening, there are two trains. One is the Mussoorie express which starts at 9:30 PM (9 hours) and the other is the Nanda Devi express which starts at 11:50 PM (6 hours).
Reaching Sankri from Dehradun
There are few shared cabs and buses that leave for Sankri every morning from near Dehradun Railway Station.
1. Bus to Sankri
- From Dehradun railway station, you can find three buses that leave at 5.30 am, 6.30 am and 8 am early in the morning. The 5.30 am and 6.30 am buses are private vehicles. These buses to Sankri are usually parked near Hotel Grand. It is at a 5 minute walk from the railway station.
- The 8 am bus which is a government bus can be found right outside the railway station.
- The ticket prices for both the private and government buses cost around INR 400.
2. Shared Taxi to Sankri
- The second-best option is to take a shared taxi from the Dehradun Railway Station. These are usually parked near Hotel Grand which is at a 5 minute walk from the railway station.
- Please note that these taxis don't go to Sankri directly. They stop at Purola which is 54 kms from Sankri. The travel takes around 4.5 hours and costs INR 300.
- From Purola, there are shared cabs that go all the way to Sankri. However, all shared cabs leave before noon. So, please ensure you reach Purola before noon if you plan on traveling by this route. The cab ride from Purola to Sankri costs around 150-200 rupees.
3. Mussoorie to Sankri
- Alternatively, you can also travel from Mussoorie to Sankri. There is an early bus available from the Mussoorie bus stop at 8 am. The ticket price for this ride costs around 400 Rupees.
4. Shared Cab arranged by Bikat Adventures
We also arrange shared cabs directly to Sankri for trekkers. These cabs start at the ISBT stop of Dehradun at 6.30 am. You can choose both pick up and drop options in the add-ons section on the itinerary page of your trek.
We hope this answers all your questions about traveling to the base camp of the Har Ki Dun Trek. In case, you have any other queries, please drop a comment below. Our team will get back to you.
A route map from Delhi to Sankri