Nag Tibba Trek which lies in the Lower Himalayan Range near Mussoorie, is a good Weekend hike for anyone wanting to take a breather from daily routine. The trek offers gentle slopes making it ideal option for people looking to do their first Himalayan Trek. Trek begins from a small Hemlet known as Pantwari. The circular Itinerary which ends at a Village known as Auntar is more rewarding. Walking through the dense forest on the Auntar side is a treat every hiker will cherish. One of many highlights of this trek is the variety of flora found here. Often we get so engrossed in the beauty of the trek that the trees & bushes that we come across go unnoticed. Here we list 27 of the most commonly seen Trees & Bushes on Nag Tibba trail with their common usage.
1. भीमल (Bhimal) : Used for feeding cattle. Also used in making Ropes & Mattress.
2. खड़की (Khadki) : Used for feeding Cattle. Blossoms in April
3. चुल्लू (Chullu) : The fruit is eaten. The seed is used for making oil. This oil is used in making vegetable and also applied in hair.
4. बुरांश (Buransh or Rhododendron) : The state tree, used for making juice. Helps control Bad Cholesterol.
5. बांझ (Baanjh) : Used for feeding cattle and making firewood.
6. तूण (Tun) : Wood is used in building houses and furniture.
7. शीर्श (Shirsh) : Poisonous. Cattle can die if they eat the new leaves (which come in March/April).
8. मोदू (Modu) : Fruit is eaten. Tastes sweet and sour.
9. अंयार (Anyaar) : Leaves used as fodder for goats. Dry leaves are laid down in domestic animal shelters to keep them warm.
10. पदक (Padak) : Used in performing rituals. Branches are considered pious/holy.
11. लगले (Lagle) : A vine which climbs by winding itself to other trees. Eats away the main plant.
12. फ़र्न (Fern)
13. जंगली पालक (Jungali Palak)
14. पुदीना (Pudina) : A Herb used in making drinks & medicines
15. काली घास (Kali Ghas) : The juice which comes after meshing it, is used to apply on wounds. Helps them heal faster.
16. जंगली कपास (Jungali Kapaas) : The white layer is used in Hooka. It is put above Tobacco. Helps it get warm & burn faster. Mostly found on rocks.
17. कंडोन (Kandone) : A type of grass used as fodder for cattle
18. काल्टी (Kaalti) or बिच्छु घास (Bichhu Ghas) : Used in making vegetable. Stings if touched.
19. झूला घास (Jhula Ghas) : Found on the trees. Used for making “Mehandi”
20. खरसू (kharsu) : Used as fodder for cattle.
21. चिरायता (Chiraytha) : Smells very strong.
22. पथ्थर चटटी (Paththar Chatti) : Its juice is used as medicine to treat kidney stone. Grows on rocks.
23. गूम (Goom)
24. मरचुली (Marchuli) : Goats love eating it.
25. आड़ू (Aadu) : Fruit is eaten. Fruit ripes in July/August.
26. फेडू (Phedu) : Fruit is eaten. Leaves are used as fodder.